Flipkart Add

GOOGLE SEARCH

Custom Search

Amazon Add

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Subho Noboborsho - Happy Bengali New Year 1418!!!!!!!!!!





Today is Bengali New Year's 1418. I really wish I was in Bangladesh for this - people go all out for Pohela Boishakh ( Boishakh = the first month of the Bengali calender, Pohela = the first, together it means the First of Boishakh). I found these random images online - if they are yours please let me know so I can credit them properly :)

Everything is a riot of bright, bold, beautiful colours.







Children get all dolled up!



Women will wear flowers in their hair.


Traditionally people eat Panta Bhat (Panta = soaked in cool water, bhat = cooked rice) with Ilish Mach (Ilish = Hilsha, Mach = Fish).


A lot of times everything is served on kolapata (kolapata = banana leaf) with lots of bhortas (bhorta=mashed, you can have mashed potato, eggplant, shrimp, hilsha fish etc. etc.)  



Like I said, I really wish I was back home for this! Oh well.

 I found this on flikr if you want to take a look at more Pohela Boishaskh pictures.

 Wishing everyone the very, very best for the upcoming year - may it be filled with laughter and joy for you and all your loved ones :)

P.S. You can win a free styling iron on my giveaway here: The Mighty J Karmin styling tool giveaway.

0 comments:

click here

flag counter

free counters

RECENT POSTS!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

select your own job!!!

Jobs by Careerjet

You May Also Like These........!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons